Port Arthur Historic Site Human Resources Manager Carol Armstrong has another reason to celebrate this Christmas. On Wednesday 19 December, Carol was awarded a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Tasmania.
Her graduation is the culmination of five years of study, initially through TAFE and then at UTAS from 2004.
Carol paid tribute to PAHSMA’s Study Assistance Policy.
“I could not have done it without the support of PAHSMA, through its Study Assistance Policy. I was able to undertake quite a number of my subjects online which reduced the need to travel to Hobart on a weekly basis.
The Authority also assisted by granting me a period of LWOP to do a semester as a full-time student which was one of the most enjoyable periods of my study. Whilst the Authority does not meet course costs, it does provide time off to attend lectures and to study for and attend examinations.”
Having achieved this long-term goal, Carol offers some reflections:
- Follow your dreams
- You’re never too old to study, even if you find yourself the odd one in the class.
- You can do anything you set your mind to
- Study and hard work does open career doors – my present job is evidence of this
- Study can cost a great deal but every cent spent is worthwhile
- Study opens doors to the rest of the world (I corresponded online with UTAS students in Asia which was very enlightening)
Carol is keen that all staff be aware of the support available to staff who are studying and that PAHSMA has a Study Assistance Policy – available through supervisors or the HR team.