The next presentation in the Port Arthur talks series will focus on research and teaching in maritime archaeology.
Professor Mark Staniforth, Thomas McErlean and Michael Nash will discuss collaborative approaches to the subject on Wednesday 16 February at the Port Arthur asylum 5.30pm to 7pm.
Based on their experiences of projects involving students in fieldwork and field schools, they will touch on:
- Shore-based whaling in Tasmania;
- Intertidal research at Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland;
- University of Ulster Maritime Archaeology Field Schools;
- Collaborative teaching of maritime archaeology online;
- 2004 Maritime Archaeology Field School at Portarlington, Victoria;
- 2004 Maritime Archaeology Field School at Port Arthur; and
- Vernacular shipbuilding research.