The Coal Mines Historic Site
Located in a now peaceful bush landscape about 30 minutes’ drive from Port Arthur, the Coal Mines is a little known element of the great experiment in crime and punishment on which the Australian nation was founded.
Led by a knowledgeable guide, participants will explore the ruins of houses, barracks, offices and dark, damp underground cells of those who once lived and worked at the Coal Mines, a place where the ‘worst of the worst’ convicts were sent for punishment.
Your guide will reveal the stories and features of this heritage landscape that might otherwise elude the casual visitor.
The tour also includes entry to and a guided tour and harbour cruise at the Port Arthur Historic Site.
· Return coach transfers between the Port Arthur and the Coal Mines Historic Sites
· Tour of the Coal Mines Historic Site with an expert guide
· A Tasmanian inspired gourmet morning or afternoon tea served at the Coal Mines Historic Site
· Port Arthur Historic Site Introductory Tour with an expert guide
· Port Arthur Historic Site Harbour Cruise
· Complimentary printed visitor guides to both sites
The tour components in total run for approximately 4 hours. Group members also have the option to self explore the Port Arthur Historic Site.
The tour can be taken either as a morning or afternoon option with the morning tour leaving at 8.30am or afternoon at 1.30pm. These times can be negotiated for groups.
Cost: $135 (nett) per person. A minimum of 12 are required to confirm this tour.
The Convict to Coal Face Experience is an exclusive group tour. Booking notice of a minimum of 6 weeks is preferred.
Please contact our Visitor Services team for more information - 1800 659 101 (a free call from within Australia) or +61 3 6251 2310 from overseas.
A Convict to Coalface tour group enjoys its Tasmanian-themed gourmet morning tea in the peaceful bushland setting of the Coal Mines Historic Site, near Port Arthur in Tasmania