The Government Gardens were reconstructed using an 1858 survey. Extensive research of historical photographs, soil analysis, geophysical and archaeological investigations helped establish the convict-period plant species, the type and location of paths, fences and other landscape features. The original central fountain was retained.
Post-convict period plantings were kept because of their contribution to the overall landscape significance. These included the rows of mature oaks along the fence line and up the path to the Church.