We are currently investigating an alternate pedestrian route across the Isle which is intended to address threats to the heritage values of the place and improve visitor safety and accessibility. The project will:
- address the ongoing conservation issues in consideration of the values of the place;
- develop a more considered and culturally sensitive route;
- provide improved accessibility to people with mobility issues (noting that fully compliant access cannot be achieved);
- upgrade the deteriorated sections of boardwalk in need of urgent repair;
- takes a ‘design for disassembly’ approach in recognition of the isolated location of the site and associated transport and manhandling considerations, while allowing for any built structure to ‘touch the ground lightly’ inconsideration of the archaeological and natural values of the place.