Government Gardens at Port Arthur is a historically re-created landscape with built features and historical plantings.
The gardens were established in the late 1840s as an outdoor leisure space for the civil and military officials at Port Arthur, and survived until well after the closure of the settlement in 1877.
The Government Gardens were reconstructed using an 1858 survey. Extensive research of historical photographs, soil analysis, geophysical and archaeological investigations helped establish the convict-period plant species, the type and location of paths, fences and other landscape features. The original central fountain was retained.
Post-convict period plantings were kept because of their contribution to the overall landscape significance. These included the rows of mature oaks along the fence line and up the path to the Church.